You can get quality Burgundy from recent vintages at good prices, if you know where to look, says Andy Howard MW. Follow his tips for finding the best value in a notoriously expensive wine region...
Affordable Burgundy doesn’t have to be an oxymoron, even if it may sometimes seem to be the case with serious price rises for the top estates and hail-hit harvests in some areas in recent years.
But, there’s quality to be had at lower prices from the last few vintages and not every vineyard costs four million euros per hectare.
See Andy Howard MW’s top tips below.
• Don’t write off the less-fashionable appellations within the Côte d’Or. North to south: Marsannay, Fixin, Monthélie and Maranges. In the Burgundy 2014 vintage they provide much of the quality of more famous names at very reasonable prices, while benefiting from some great individual climats.
• Buy Bourgogne blanc and rouge from top domaines with confidence.
• If you have favourite producers, buy across their quality range – you’ll get a great understanding of the importance of terroir.
• Wines at the village level are worthy alternatives to premier cru in 2013 and 2014, and are highly representative of their specific appellations, while offering good value.
• Don’t overlook the Mâconnais and Côte Chalonnaise – there is real diversity and balance in the 2014s from Pouilly-Fuissé, Viré-Clessé, Rully and Montagny.
• 2014 whites are strong across all quality levels – a great vintage and beautifully balanced wines that will keep and develop.
• Don’t overlook older, less-fashionable vintages such as 2012 or 2008.
Translated by Leo / 孔祥鑫
All rights reserved by TI Media Ltd. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of Decanter.
Only Official Media Partners (see About us) of DecanterChina.com may republish part of the content from the site without prior permission under strict Terms & Conditions. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about how to become an Official Media Partner of DecanterChina.com.